The best way to start out your day is with the perfect cup of coffee. Several reasons are behind the popularity of home roasting.
It gives you control of the time and temperature.
You can develop a coffee roast that is to your exact liking. If you want to give home roasting a try, this guide will help you find the best popcorn popper for roasting coffee.
Our Top Recommended
Best Popcorn Coffee for Roasting Coffee Buying Guide
If you are a coffee connoisseur, you probably already know that there are many types of green coffee beans available.
Whether you prefer African, Arabic, or South American, you can create your own unique blend and give it your own special flavor with your own custom roast.
Roasting coffee is easy if you follow these steps.
Home Coffee Roasting Steps and Tips
- 1. Place your roaster in a well-ventilated area and in an area that well-lit.
- 2. Measure the coffee using the same amounts recommended by the manufacturer for popcorn.
- 3. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for starting the roaster and putting in the beans.
- 4. Listen for cracking sounds to begin in about 3-5 minutes into the process. Once the cracking begins, and then stops the coffee is drinkable, but you can continue to roast it a while longer if you prefer (1).
- 5. Keep a close watch because it only takes about a minute for the coffee to go from the perfect roast to burnt.
- 6. Turn off the roaster a few seconds before the beans are approaching the right roast. Carefully pour the beans into a metal colander stir them in a metal colander. Toss them in the air a few times to separate the chaff.
- 7. Once they are cool, place them in airtight containers. You can even freeze them to preserve the freshness.
Types of Popcorn Popper: Which is best for Home Roasting
Here are four types of popcorn poppers that can be used for roasting coffee.
1. Hot Air Poppers
A hot air popper is a popular method but not all of them are designed to get as hot as you need it.
- They are relatively inexpensive.
- You do not need to stir constantly during the roasting process.
- New models are designed for low temperature and do not get high enough for roasting coffee.
- They must be watched carefully because some of them have a history of catching fire when roasting coffee, which is something they were not designed to do.
- You cannot observe the roast to see how dark the coffee beans are becoming.
2. Stove Top Poppers
Stove top Poppers are the closest thing to what professional roasters use. This is our pick in terms of the best popcorn popper for roasting coffee.
- Precise heat and roasting time control
- Some have clear lids so you can see the color change
- You control the stirring speed.
- Work well on electric or gas stoves
- Closest to methods used by professional roasters
- Easy to clean
- Can roast larger batches at one time
- Require you stand next to it the entire time
3. Electric Poppers
An electric popper comes in second for the preferred types of popcorn poppers for roasting coffee.
- Easy to use
- Cleans up easily
- Consistent temperature every time
- Only one temperature setting
- Teflon coatings can become scratched by beans
- Stirring arms trap beans
4. Microwave Popcorn Poppers
Even though everyone likes their microwave oven, they do not heat evenly and it is easy to have some beans burnt and others overcooked in the same batch.
- Convenient and already a part of the kitchen
- They are familiar to most
- No temperature control
- Plastic parts cannot be used in high temperatures needed for roasting coffee
- Cannot stir the beans continually
- Uneven heat
- Coffee can have an off taste due to plastic
Related Post: Behmor 1600 Plus Review – Can It Roast Beans Perfectly?
The Best Popcorn Popper For Roasting Coffee - 2018 Reviews
This list shares the best popcorn poppers for roasting coffee that we found for you.
1. Zippy Pop Red Stovetop Popcorn Popper
The Zippy Pop is made from sturdy, non-stick aluminum.
It has a uniques tumbling mechanism the continually rotates the beans.
This one has a large capacity and did a good job of creating an even roast.
2. Wabash Valley Farms Stovetop Popcorn Popper (Our Top Recommended)
This is our favorite pick for the best popcorn popper for roasting coffee. It is lightweight and easy to carry, but is made of solid stainless steel instead of the aluminum found in other roasters.
It heats the beans evenly. The crank is solid and feels sturdy when using it. One of the best parts about this popper is that the stainless steel heats up quickly.
It only took three minutes to heat up. That is pretty quick. The only drawback is that we would like to see the plastic gears replaced with metal ones.
3. Cook N Home 6.5 Quart Stainless Steel Popcorn Popper Stovetop
This one is another favorite.
We like it because it is stainless steel and should last a long time.
It created an even roast and had a secure locking lid.
Unfortunately, the lid is not clear, which means you have to keep lifting the lid to determine if the roast is dark enough.
4. Franklin's Original Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Machine Popper
This is a great choice if you have a large batch of coffee to process.
This one seemed to heat up nicely and evenly across the bottom.
It has a large 6-quart capacity, which is great for larger batches. It is also easy to clean. It did a nice job of roasting.
5. Great Northern Popcorn Original Spinner Stovetop 6-1/2-Quart Popcorn Popper
We likes this one because it has a unique spinner that keeps the coffee from burning. It is easy to store and has a 5-quart capacity. This one heated up quickly.
We found that we prefer stovetop models as the best popcorn popper for roasting coffee.
It is easy to control the temperature and continually stir the beans so that you get a nice even roast.
On the stovetop models, our favorite was the stainless steel model from Wabash Valley Farms.
Stainless steel heats more evenly than aluminum pans. It was also easy to control the proper temperature using the settings on your stove and a timer.
If it is results that you are after, this is perfect for making the best cup of brew every time.
My name is Kathy Gallo, Editor of Daily Cupo, a Coffee buff. The guide you find here is designed exactly for you, and it is our hope that you find it not only interesting but also actionable.